I was born and raised in York, UK, did a degree in history and ancient history (which is rather useful in early childhood education when researching those who have inspired early childhood education throughout the ages)
Stockholm, Sweden is where I have been based since 1992.
I have been working with children in a variety of ways ever since - as private tutor, home-language educator, in schools and preschools and as an educational consultant. I have worked as special needs assistant, teacher and director which has afforded me a broad understanding of the preschool world, especially the one here in Stockholm.
I feel it is essential to share knowledge and inspiration with others and have been doing this in my free time with my blog as I spent my days working with young children.
Since 2013 I have focussed on listening with the aim to better understand how philosophy with preschoolers can be used as a learning tool - and have seen the positive effects it has had on children's play.
The future sees me supporting preschools to reflect on their interactions with children, learning and play and the democratic process - and training teachers through workshops, presentations and lectures.
A selection of presentations and workshops
2020 - Liverpool University.. skype lecture, January
- Vancouver, Facilitator: 2 day conference. Frog Hollow Reggio-inspired Learning Centre. February
2019 - Liverpool University... Skype lecture January
- Athens, Greece... Keynote Speaker "Original Learning" http://playonathens.com/index.php April.
- Istanbul... Keynote Speaker. The Reggio Emilia Approach. Pedagogy of Listening workshop.
- Stockholm, STEAM, two day hands on workshops for indoor and outdoor learning
- Stockholm, Förskola21, makerspace.
- Australia - 2 weeks in October. Dates to be announced.
- Stockholm University, courses spring and autumn
- Early learning Café, Ontario based, online. "Democratic Spaces for Early Learning"
2018 - Göteborg... 27 April.FSO Dagen
- Palestine, Play-workshops for advanced course members. Courses in Child Development and Play.
- Israel. Presentation. The Art of Learning.
- Online Presentation Fairydust Winter Conference (Natural Learning... play as learning)
2017 - ECE Leadership Conference. Online (pedagogical documentation)
- Uppsala, FPF, Presentation (Konsten att Lyssna)
- Early Years Summit. Online (Reggio Emilia)
- Jenin, Palestine, Course leader ECE training
2016 - Stockholm University (Konsten att Lyssna)
- Toronto, Canada, (Reggio in a Swedish context) Rhythm2016 facilitator
- Education Next Generation (Reggio Emilia Approach) online
2015 - Durham, UK, Keynote - (The Art of Listening)
- Martha's Vineyard, Garden Gate ECE Retreat (Philosophy and Pre-philosophy in Preschool)
- Jenin, Palestine, (Play and Learning)
2014 - Reykjavik, PlayIceland (Playing with philosophy)
- Boulder, Colorado, USA (The Art of Listening and Pre-philosophy)
- Toronto, Canada (The Art of Listening and Philosophy with Preschoolers)